Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Apparently, the media has deceived us

Bill Clinton blames the Dems' loss on the galvanizing effect of the gay marriage issue on evangelical voters, but Pat Caddell on Special Report with Brit HumeIt's not about intolerance. It's about people don't understand are goingPeople do not understand this and they want a say in it. It's about democracy, in part. People do not believe that this can be happening--by judges and they have no say about it.. . .

I'm really concerned about my own party attacking -- every time they get up and attack bigotry and say it's discrimination, we're attacking our own voters! And it's really wrong to do this, and we need a national debate on the subject which the media has not wanted to do all year.In other words, the Democrat elites are painting their own constituents as bigots. Caddell has seen this coming and says he predicted the loss of those Senate seats in the South. That can't be good for regaining those seats, unless liberals in the media cool their portrayal of denial of gay marriage as Republican bigotry.

Will the judges take the hint? I doubt it. My own feelings about this appear to be typical. Issues that affect what society is like should be decided by democratic means not by judges. I think gays should recognize that this is a volatile issue and that demanding too much too soon could trigger a backlash. I'm not inclined to accept gay marriage as equivalent to traditional marriage, but I don't see anything wrong with civil unions, and I am offended by gay bashing. I just lost a gay nephew, to what may have been AIDS, and a number of his friends came to his funeral and were welcomed, but I can't help feeling that a society where gay relationships are equivalent to traditional marriages is a place I'd feel welcome in. I guess that makes me a supporter of Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell. I'm sure that over time traditionalists will be forced onto the defensive, but the burden has not shifted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home